I've never fixed a match, says New Zealand captain McCullum

New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has denied he has ever been involved in match-fixing and stood by his evidence to an International Cricket Council investigation into corruption.

McCullum added he was "disappointed" that excerpts of his testimony had been leaked to the media after it was reported he had told investigators that a former player approached him about fixing matches in 2008.

"Let me be clear I have never ever fixed a cricket match," he said in a statement before appearing at a media conference in Christchurch on Thursday.

"I am 100 percent behind the fight against corruption in the sport." McCullum arrived back in New Zealand from India on Thursday to attend the birth of his third child and faced reporters in Christchurch to address the growing scandal, which came to light last December with reports that three former New Zealand players were being probed for alleged match-fixing.

"Yep," McCullum answered when asked if he stood by his testimony to the the ICC's Anti-Corruption Security Unit (ACSU). "I gave my testimony to the ICC in good faith so I was shocked when I read it in the media.

"I hope it does not stop others coming forward in the future  as all players need to play their part in stamping out corruption." A British newspaper quoted McCullum as telling investigators that he had been approached twice in 2008 about match-fixing by a former international player identified as 'Player X'.

Former New Zealand all-rounder Chris Cairns, who has consistently denied being involved in any matchfixing, said his name had been "linked by others" to corruption allegations.

"I am being asked whether I am Player X," he said in a statement to Fairfax Media. "Based on the limited information I have received during this investigation, I believe it is being alleged that I am that player. These allegations against me are a complete lie." McCullum had "no comment" when asked whether Cairns was 'Player X'.

Vincent charged

Meanwhile, in a first of its kind, ex-New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent and his former Sussex county team-mate Naved were charged by the England and Wales Cricket Board for fixing the outcome of a county match in 2011.

Vincent, who has already confessed to fixing and has been under investigation by ICC’s ACSU, was charged with a total of 14 offences in relation to two county matches played under the ECB’s jurisdiction in August 2011 — a T20 match between Sussex and Lancashire and a 40-over game between Sussex and Kent.

Arif, a Pakistani living in England, was charged with six offences in relation to the 40 over game between Sussex and Kent in August 2011.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry