Stop wishing, start doing

Dear Madam,
I am currently studying in PUC second year. Due to family pressure, I have taken PCMB but all my strengths lie in the business field. Is there any possibility that I can pursue business in an university abroad after completing my PUC in science? If yes, kindly suggest me good business universities along with their fee structure and scholarship details.

Dear Karthik,
Foreign universities will certainly accept students with a science background into their business stream. In fact, universities like London School of Economics in UK or the Ivy leagues in the US prefer students who have studied traditional subjects like PCMB. To get into a good university and be eligible for their scholarships, you should maintain a high and consistent academic record. Some of the best universities for undergraduate business degree in the US are Harvard, University of Pennsylvania, MIT, Stanford, NYU, UC Berkeley, Michigan Ann Arbor, Carnegie Mellon, University of Southern California, Northwestern and Columbia, among others.

In UK, Oxford, LSE, City University, Durham, Bath, Kings College and Manchester are the popular ones. INSEAD in France, NUS and SMU in Singapore, Erasmus, Rotterdam and Amsterdam in Netherlands, LMU Munich in Germany and McGill in Canada are among the best for Business. For a complete list of universities, fee structures and scholarship opportunities, please visit

Dear Madam,
I am planning to go to UK this September to pursue my bachelors in business. What might be the approximate living expenses in UK and will I be allowed to work while studying?

Dear Radhika,
Living expenses in UK would be around 800 GBP a month in London and 600 GBP a month outside London. As an international student, you can work part time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full time during holidays. However, this only applies if your university is listed on both the official UKVI sponsor list and list of recognised bodies.

Dear Madam,
I am a fresh graduate and would like to pursue a postgraduate course in management, preferably in the UK. Please suggest a reputed university that is centrally located with good career prospects?

Dear Ambika,
UK is well known for its excellent education and has world-wide recognition. The postgraduate programmes are of one year duration. The option to work part-time offers valuable insights into working in an overseas country.

Middlesex University is a London-based university and is ranked second among modern universitis in UK and within the top five business schools in London. It is one of the leading providers of business and management education and development in the United Kingdom. The University’s employability service supports your quest to gain work placements and plan your career. It offers students a first-class education in one of the world’s truly great cities. Its close location to a global centre of commerce provides excellent networking and employment opportunities.

A few postgraduate course options in the business school are as follows:
- Human Resource Management with a CIPD (chartered institute of personnel and development) accreditation
- MSc Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- MA International Business Management
-Masters in Marketing management or Communications
For more information, please visit

Dear Madam,
I am currently in the third year of BDS course and I am keen on pursuing my masters abroad. But I don’t know the procedure for an Indian student. What exams should I be writing and how do I apply for those exams? And also I would like to know what are the other options after BDS. Kindly tell me how I could prepare for such exams and if there are any scholarships that I could avail.
Nathasha H N

Dear Nathasha,
After your BDS, you can pursue MDS, MSc or PhD in one of these specialisations: endodontics, periodontics, prosthodontics, dental material science, dental implantalogy, orthodontics, oral pathology, paediatric dentistry, dental technology, primary dental care, public health and dentistry etc. You could also consider an MBA in hospital management. To get admission in a university you need to only write the IELTS exam.

To be able to practice in another country, you have to write the qualifying exams like ORE (overseas registration exam conducted by British Dental Council) for UK, ADC (Australian dental examination) for Australia, the licensing exam conducted by the American Dental Association to practice in the US and Canada. If you want to pursue a PhD, it is advisable that you gain two years of clinical practise before you apply. Scholarships, teaching assistantships and research assistantships are available for academic achievers.

Narendra Modi or Rahul Gandhi? Who will win the battle royale of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019

Get real-time news updates, views and analysis on Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on 

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram with #DHPoliticalTheatre for live updates on the Indian general elections 2019.

Comments (+)