Five civilians killed in fresh violence in Valley

Five civilians killed in fresh violence in Valley

Five civilians killed in fresh violence in Valley

At least five civilians were killed and nearly 100 injured when security forces opened fire at protesters across Kashmir, even as strike and curfew continued unabated for the 39th consecutive day on Tuesday.

Reports said four protesters were killed and 15 injured when paramilitary CRPF troopers opened fire on protesters at Beerwah area of Jammu and Kashmir’s Budgam district. Witnesses said some angry youth, who were part of a huge protest rally, hurled stones at paramilitary troopers, who in retaliation opened fire.

Hospital sources said the condition of some of the injured, who were shifted to Srinagar, is critical.

Immediately after that incident, massive clashes broke out across Budgam district, which were going on till late Tuesday evening. Reports said dozens of protesters and security personnel have been injured in the clashes.

One more youth was killed in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district in a similar clash, reports said. At least 10 received pellet or bullet injuries in the clash.

With this, the death toll in ongoing Kashmir unrest, which erupted after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8, reached 65. Nearly, 6,600 civilians have been injured in action by the security forces during the period.

Reports of protests and violence were received from other districts of Valley in which 50 persons have been injured.

In Srinagar, despite curfew imposed by authorities, protesters at dozens of places clashed with security forces in which several people were injured,Separatist leaders, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, who are spearheading the agitation, have asked all the Kashmiris to come on roads for 72 hours to protest the killings.

Broadband, internet and postpaid services remained suspended for the fourth consecutive day across Kashmir, except in some areas housing government offices.

Mobile internet and prepaid services had been suspended in the Valley on July 9. The suspension of these services has affected the work of journalists, especially those working in national and international organisations.

Meanwhile, a video of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Zakir Naikoo has surfaced in which he has asked the people of Kashmir to continue the protest.

In the video, shot at some undisclosed location, Naikoo has urged Kashmiris to remain steadfast and continue the strike till the “mission of Azadi” is achieved.

Naikoo, an engineering college dropout who joined Burhan Wani’s group in 2012, was appointed as one of the three commanders by Hizbul immediately after Wani’s death.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox