No let-up in stir, normal life continues to be hit

No let-up in stir, normal life continues to be hit

Cauvery imbroglio: Mysuru-B'luru highway still under siege, commuters suffer

No let-up in stir, normal life continues to be hit

Protests continued in Mandya city and other parts of the district, besides the neighbouring districts of Mysuru, Chamarajanagar and Hassan as water was released to Tamil Nadu from the dams in the Cauvery basin since Tuesday night.

The bandh continued for the second day in Mandya district and the Mysuru-Bengaluru highway remained closed in Srirangapatna, Mandya and Maddur taluks. Vehicles were diverted through alternative routes. But all routes to reach Bengaluru from Mysuru touch Mandya district at some point, starting from Srirangapatna. Four-wheelers and bigger vehicles could hardly move any further. Two-wheeler riders managed to cross the barricades by convincing the agitators. The movement of ambulances was not hindered.

The protests were less severe in Pandavapura, KR Pet and Nagamangala taluks of the district.

Agitators threw stones at six lorries with TN registration near Bhoothanahosuru on the outskirts of Mandya city. Three farmers were rescued in the River Cauvery in Srirangapatna. They were among the farmers who had entered the river to stage a protest. They tried to get deep into the water and were being washed away. But they were rescued and rushed to a hospital in the town.

Staging of dharnas, roadblocks, burning of effigies of chief ministers Siddaramaiah and Jayalalithaa of Karnataka and TN, respectively, and Karnataka’s advocate in the Supreme Court Fali S Nariman was a common sight throughout the region.

In Mandya, Srirangapatna and other taluks, the protestors forced business establishments, banks and government offices to down their shutters. Stone-throwing incidents were reported in Mandya city also. Attempts by farmers to lay a siege to the KRS dam were averted by the police.

On the outskirts of Mysuru city, farmers felled roadside trees on the Mysuru-Bengaluru highway at Siddalingapura to block the road. Protests were held in Mysuru city at various places by members of different political parties and other organisations. Even though Mysuru Mayor B L Bhyrappa, on Wednesday, convinced agitators to vacate the premises of the pump-houses at Belagola and Melapura, from where water is lifted to the city, pumping of water could not be resumed due to technical problems. The protestors had cut off the power supply to the pump-houses on Tuesday morning. In Belur taluk of Hassan district, women squatted in front of the Yagachi dam, suspecting that water may be released to the Hemavathi reservoir.

They said, they would keep a watch on the dam overnight. The protests, condemning the release of water, continued in Chamarajanagar district. Claiming that the Supreme Court’s judgement was a death-knell to the farmers, the protesters demanded that a national water policy be implemented. They blocked the NH 209 near Chikkahole checkpost.

Inter-state bus services have been stopped due to the protest. But buses to Kerala are plying as usual. Bus service to Tamil Nadu is being diverted via Punajanuru and Gundlupet. The buses stop at Punajanuru and from there, passengers reach their destinations through Tamil Nadu buses. Ooty buses are being run via Gundlupet. KSRTC buses are only plying up to the Kakkanahalla checkpost.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)