Hours after the deadly fidayeen attack on an army camp in Uri, it has come to fore that security agencies ignored the repeated alerts of a major terror attack.
In the last two months, since the civilian protests began in the Valley, the chief of Lashker-e-Toiba Hafiz Sayeed and Hizb-ul-Mujahideen chief Syed Salah-ud-Din had repeatedly threatened to carry out major terror attacks on security installations in Kashmir and in other states of the country.
In their threats, they had vowed to train more Kashmiri suicide bombers, who would turn the Valley into “a graveyard for Indian forces”.
However, sources said Army authorities in New Delhi ignored these threats despite being subsequently substantiated by intelligence agencies.
“The army and authorities in New Delhi had been informed about the warnings of terror attacks after the intelligence reports suggested that dozens of Pakistani terrorists had sneaked into this side of Kashmir in August to carry out major attacks, more particularly on the Army,” a source revealed to DH.
The sources said the Sunday attack was carried by a group of highly trained and indoctrinated Jaish-e-Mohammad militants of Pakistani origin. “The militants managed to sneak into the Brigade headquarters near Gawhalan village which is disconnected with Pakistan-occupied Kashmir by a nallah (stream),” they said.
“The slain fidayeen militants had chosen to attack the base camp when there was change of unit of the soldiers. This indicates that the terrorists had carried out inspection of this particular brigade headquarters before the attack,” sources revealed.