Drug suspect hasn't gone to loo for over a month: Report


The 49-year-old man, whose name has been withheld for legal reasons, was held on suspicion of importing class A drugs on February 16 at London's Heathrow airport, and charged three days later.

But since then, he is eating as little as possible to prevent nature from taking its course as he is thought to have hidden cocaine parcels in his stomach, the 'News of the World' quoted police officials as saying.

Usually, suspects are monitored having two bowel movements to make sure there's nothing in their bellies. But, the police in this case are being forced to play a strange waiting game while the man tries to cheat the system.

Last week, the man's lawyers argued he should be freed because officials have been unable to provide evidence that he is a smuggler. But, a court has ruled that he should remain in the custody of the UK Border Agency until he goes to the loo, the report said.
The longer it goes on, the more danger there is of the packaging around any parcels disintegrating. And if they contain cocaine, it could kill him, the tabloid said.
A legal source said: "There is only so long this can go on for."

Dr Carol Cooper told us: "Not having a motion for a month is on the border of what the human body can stand. His bowel could rupture -- he is putting his life at great risk."
The UK Border Agency said: "The welfare of detainees is our priority. All receive regular medical attention."

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)