Do away with Medical Rep term: Cardiologist

Do away with Medical Rep term: Cardiologist

Do away with Medical Rep term: Cardiologist

There is a need to do away with the term 'Medical Representative' (MR) as they are also more dignified and highly qualified sales executives who deal with issues pertaining to pharmaceutical industry, opined Interventional Cardiologist Dr Padmanabh Kamath.

Addressing a pharmaceutical sales executives at a career guidance and vocational training programme he organised on Sunday, he termed them highly talented youth with diverse interests and advised them to use their time in patient-centric activities.

"There is a need to get inspired by key leaders in their own fields. Each sales representative has potential to become a role model," he said.

Guest of honour Lupin Pharmaceuticals vice president Praveen Dhore said only 1% of people enjoy their work; the rest 99% work for the sake of it. "If you are not enjoying your work, how can you produce results," he asked.

Inaugurating the meet, South Canara District Chemists' and Druggists' Association president Shridhar Kamath recalled the work culture of medical representatives in 1970s when he joined the profession. "There is a sea change in the last four decades. The MRs should adapt to changes to survive in the field," he said.

Association secretary Ganesh Kamath stressed the need for truth, trust and transparency among MRs. Citing the example of Sachin Tendulkar, he said, people may throw stones at a person, but it depends on the person on how to convert it to milestones.

"Thyrocare Founder Arokiaswamy Velumani made a difference in the lives of several medical representatives. Just because he could not get a job soon after studies, he not only went on recruiting freshers all along, but also slashed the prices of medicine and laboratory tests, which yielded unbelievable results," he said.


Surendra Kamath with 45 years of experience in the industry, who worked for Themis Pharma, and Shreedevi, with 21 years of experience, representing Alembic Pharma, were honoured.

Hariprasad, Yakshith Shetty, Chethan Raj and Shiv Gowda were presented 'Young Achievers Award' for their achievements.