Iranian film-maker Jafar Panahi released on bail

Iranian film-maker Jafar Panahi released on bail

Iranian director Jafar Panahi . AP File Photo

"Jafar Panahi was released from Tehran's Evin prison on Tuesday after posting bail of two billion rials (around 200,000 dollars)," the news agency quoted the prosecutor's office as saying.
The film-maker's wife, Tahereh Saeedi, confirmed that she had posted bail for her husband but insisted he remained in custody.
"No he has not been freed -- I know better -- but I have deposited the bail," Saeedi told AFP.
The prosecutor's office said that Panahi's case file and the charges against him had now been sent to the revolutionary court, which deals with security offences.
It did not detail what the charges were.
Yesterday, Tehran public prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi announced that Panahi had been granted bail.
"It has been decided that he will be released on bail," Dolatabadi was quoted as saying. He added that he had met Panahi in Evin prison on Thursday.
"During the meeting, his request to be released until the trial was examined and accepted," the prosecutor said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)