Girl child dies of drug poisoning in Mumbai school

Students wait to be examined by doctors at a hospital after one student died from a suspected medicine poisoning, according to local media, in Mumbai. Reuters photo

 A 12-year-old girl from Govandi in the eastern suburbs of Mumbai died and several others were taken ill after showing signs of poisoning following a medical dose given at the school.

The victims are from the Sanjay Nagar Urdu School at Govandi suburbs of Mumbai. The deceased girl was identified as Chandni Shaikh.

The school is run by the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and iron and folic acid tablets to the students of the schools.

Around 35 to 40 students are currently admitted to the Rajawadi Hospital at Ghatkopar and Shatabdi Hospital at Govandi.

Because of signs of poisoning, 150 plus other students were treated at various hospitals.

“Kids from our locality were vomiting and feeling uneasy, restless and having a headache so we rushed them to hospitals,” said Rehana, a lady from the Govandi locality, who had accompanied parents to the Rajawadi Hospital.

The girl had attended school on Wednesday and Thursday but died suddenly at her Baiganwadi residence on Thursday night.

The post-mortem was conducted on Friday and the report is awaited.
According to reports, the BMC held a deworming exercise recently and used medicines provided by the state government and drugs like albendazole tablet used for
deworming, which essentially kills tapeworm, roundworms and hookworms that may be present in a person’s digestive system. Besides, folic acid was also given to anaemic kids.

Liked the story?

  • 1

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 1

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry

Comments:

Girl child dies of drug poisoning in Mumbai school

0 comments

Write the first review for this !