Bangladeshi Priya returns to her native

Bangladeshi Priya returns to her native

Victim of human trafficking, she had given birth to a baby girl here

After braving odds for nearly three years in Mysore, a Bangladeshi girl returned to her native, thanks to the city police who took all pains in making her journey possible.

A DH file photo of Priya and her daughter Sania during their release from Central Prisons Mysore.

Priya is that young girl who was provided shelter in Shaktidhama an exclusive centre to rehabilitate women in distress, on Nanjangud road here.

After her release from Central Prisons Mysore on October last, Priya and her one year and two months old daughter Sania had found shelter at Shaktidhama.

In the month of April, Priya and her toddler daughter were handed over to the immigration officers at Gurdaspur the Indo-Bangla border, sources told Deccan Herald.

The facts preceding Priya’s return journey is equally interesting with she also being a victim of trafficking. In the year 2008, she allegedly sneaked into India and found a loving mate in a local boy.

The boy in question here belonging to the family of elites had a physical intimacy with her on many occasions. The relation turned sour after learning that Priya was pregnant. It was only after she was rescued by a local NGO, did the police come to know about her infiltration and illegal stay.

Priya was booked for the offences and was also tried in a court, which awarded her two months imprisonment, besides slapping a fine of Rs 10,000. She delivered a baby girl behind bars.

Though she completed her sentence, she had to languish in her cell, for being unable to pay the fine amount. Till Shivegowda, a good samaritan came forward and paid her fine amount, Priya was in haze about her future.

Meanwhile, she had also made a bid to make good her escape after hoodwinking the police. She had delivered the baby in Cheluvamba Hospital, from where she had tried her luck in making her way out, only to be caught by the police in railway station here.

The startling revelations came out, when the police personnel entrusted with the task of arranging for her temporary passport and visa knocked on the doors of embassy of Bangladesh in New Delhi. 

When the officers at embassy verified the name and address of the applicant, it came to fore that they (relevant information) were all false.

 It was only when the officers quizzed her over phone in their mother tongue, did Sania confess that she was ‘Sumaya’ and gave genuine address. She was already married in her country.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)