Curfew continues uninterrupted in Kashmir, injured teen dies

Last Updated 11 February 2013, 05:55 IST

A 14-year-old boy wounded in clashes with security forces died in a hospital here Monday as curfew continued without any relaxation in Kashmir Valley for the third day following the hanging of Afzal Guru.

All 10 district headquarters have been under curfew since Saturday, when Afzal Guru, who belonged to Sopore, was hanged in New Delhi for his role in the Dec 13, 2001 attack on parliament.

As tension continued in the valley, Ubaid Ahmad Rather, who had been injured Sunday in clashes with security forces in Watergam (Rafiabad) village in Baramulla district died in Srinagar's super specialty Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura  hospital, family sources said. Four others had been injured.

Ubaid and another critically injured person Sajad Ahmad had been referred to the Srinagar hospital by doctors in Baramulla district Sunday evening. In another incident, a youth identified as Tariq Ahmad Bhat drowned in Jhelum river.

Police said the youth had died after a boat capsize while five others were saved during the incident. However, villagers in Batwina village of north Kashmir Ganderbal district said he was being chased by security forces during the protests and jumped into the river in panic.

Taking no chances with the law and order situation, authorities continued curfew in the valley.

On Monday, separatists had already called for a protest shutdown to coincide with the death  anniversary of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF)  founder Muhammad Maqbool Butt, who was hanged in Tihar Jail this day in 1984.

Authorities have said there would be no restrictions on the movements of medical staff and all others responsible for maintaining essential services in the valley.

"Their identity cards should be treated as curfew passes by the security forces," an official told reporters.

No  print editions of local newspapers could hit the stands here for the second day  as editors said their print publications were being disallowed by the authorities.
Cable television  operations in Srinagar city also remained suspended for the third day while reports from other district headquarters said cable television operations  continued normally there.

No internet services were available in the Valley today on dongle appliances or mobile phones as all service providers shut services without any intimation to  their subscribers three days back.

BSNL broadband facilities, however, worked in the summer capital Srinagar and other places in the Valley.

(Published 11 February 2013, 05:36 IST)

Follow us on